Effective Date: 5/23/2018
Pack Animal, Inc. (“Pack Animal”, “we”, “us” or “our”) designs, manufactures and sells motorcycle and travel accessories (the "Services"). we are headquartered in Seattle, WA in the United States. Our Services, which include this website, exist to enable Customers and Visitors to, among other things, travel the world by motorcycle or by other means.
"Customer" means any person or entity that places an order through our website, whether or not any payment is collected.
'Recipient' means any person who receives or is intended to receive an order placed through our website, whether or not they are a Customer.
"Personal Information" means any information that identifies or can be used to identify a Customer, a Recipient, or a Visitor, directly or indirectly. Examples of Personal Information include, but are not limited to, first and last name, date of birth, email address, gender, mailing or billing address, credit card information, or other demographic information.
"Visitor" means any person who visits any of our Websites.
"you" and "your" means, depending on the context, either a Customer, or a Visitor.
What information do we collect?
We collect various information regarding you or your device. This includes:
Information you provide to us:
- When you make a purchase or use our Services: When you place an order you will be asked to provide certain basic information to facilitate the transaction and deliver you the goods. This information may include (i) your name, email address, shipping address, and phone number, (ii) information about a motorcycle you may or may not own, including any images of this motorcycle you may provide to us, (iii) information about other people, such as when you direct us to send a product to another Recipient.
When you make a purchase, we ask you to provide payment information, which may include payment card information (such as credit card number, type, and expiration date), billing address, and shipping address. Our payment processor, which is required by credit card issuers to meet specific security requirements, will collect, store, and process your credit card and other payment information on our behalf using industry-standard security measures. We do not store any payment card information.
- When you contact us: We do everything possible to make sure you have an exceptional experience when interacting with us. If you contact us in person, by phone (calling or texting), email, instant message (including Facebook Messenger and Instagram Direct Messaging), through any social media App, or by some other means, we may keep a record of your contact information and the content of the communication for later reference. When we send you emails, we may track whether you open them to learn how to deliver a better customer experience and improve our Services. We receive responses to any survey that you choose to complete for us.
- When you sign up to receive our Newsletter: When you signup for our newsletter we will ask you to provide information such as your name and email address. We may also ask you to provide other information such as what country or state you live, what motorcycles you own, or any other optional information that you may choose to provide.
This information may include:
Device information: We collect information about the device and applications you use to access the website, such as your IP address, your operating system, your browser ID, and other information about your system and connection.
Log data: Our web servers keep log files that record data each time a device accesses those servers and those log files contain data about the nature of each access, including originating IP addresses. This information allows us to improve the content and operation of the site, and facilitate research and analysis of our marketing and website effectiveness.
Cookies are small files that a website transfers to your computer's hard drive through your Web browser (if you allow) that enables the site to recognize your browser and track information about your visit. Cookies are widely used by online service providers in order to (for example) make their websites or services work, or to work more efficiently, as well as to provide reporting information.
Cookies set by the website owner or service provider (in this case, Pack Animal) are called “first party cookies”. Cookies set by parties other than the website owner are called “third party cookies”. Third party cookies enable third party features or functionality to be provided on or through the website or service you are using (such as advertising, interactive content and analytics). The third parties that set these third party cookies can recognize your computer both when it visits the website or service in question and also when it visits certain other websites or services.
Function and Required Cookies
Pack Animal uses some necessary cookies because they allow visitors to navigate and use key features on your site. These cookies vary from site to site depending on the features it uses. For example, Functional and Required Cookies help these features work:
- Shopping Cart and Checkout
- URL Redirects
Prevents cross-site request forgery (CSRF). CSRF is an attack vector that tricks a browserinto taking unwanted action in an application when someone’s logged in.
Prevents redirect loops if we ever use a custom URL redirect. Redirect loops are bad for SEO.
Shows when a visitor adds a product to their cart
Tells the website that the visitor has a cart
Stores state of checkout while the visitor is completing their order in PayPal
Prevents our promotional pop-up from displaying if a visitor dismisses it
Prevents our announcement bar from displaying if a visitor dismisses it
Analytics and Performance Cookies
We use Analytics and Performance cookies to collect information about how visitors interact with our site. These cookies are used for understanding information such as website traffic sources, unique visitors, cart abandonment, and page views. These cookies are only used if a visitor clicks "Continue" on our cookie banner.
They are also used to
You can choose to have your computer warn you each time a cookie is being set, or you can choose to turn off all cookies. You do this through your browser settings. Each browser is different, so look at your browser Help menu to learn the correct way to manage the settings for your cookies. If you turn cookies off, you won't have access to many features that make your site experience more efficient and some of our services will not function properly. You can still place orders by contacting Customer Service at email@example.com.
Identifies unique visitors and tracks a visitor’s sessions on the site
Remembers if a visitor agreed to placing Analytics cookies on their browser
Google Analytics gathers information allowing us to understand interactions with our website and ultimately refine that experience to better serve you.
ss_cid, ss_crv, ss_cvisit, ss_cvt, ss_cpvisit
How can I control Cookies?
You have the right to decide whether to accept or reject cookies.
Website Cookie Banner: When you visit our site you will be presented with a banner explaining that our site uses Analytics cookies. You can choose to opt out of our Analytics cookies by not clicking "Continue" on this cookie banner. If you choose not to click "Continue" you may still use our Website though your access to some functionality and areas of our Websites may be restricted.
Other tracking technologies
We may use other, similar technologies from time to time, like web beacons. We use web beacons in the newsletter emails we send. These web beacons track certain behavior such as whether the email sent was delivered and opened and whether links within the email were clicked. They also allow us to collect information such as your IP address, browser, email client type and other similar details. We use this information to measure the performance of our email campaigns, and to provide analytics information and enhance the effectiveness of our emails.
While you may not have the ability to specifically reject or disable these tracking technologies, in many instances, these technologies are reliant on cookies to function properly; accordingly, in those instances, declining cookies will impair functioning of these technologies.
How do we use this personal information?
We may use the Personal Information we collect through the site for a range of reasons, including:
- To facilitate the sale and delivery of your purchases.
- This includes sending you emails, invoices, receipts, shipping notifications, or for any other reason related to the fulfillment of a contractual obligation.
- To send you product alert messages
- For example, if you purchase a product we later determine to have a defect we may contact you regarding a recall of that product.
- To communicate with you about your order and provide customer support.
- For example, if you purchase a product for a motorcycle and we need additional information about the motorcycle we may contact you and ask you to provide information such as measurements or photos.
- To promote our Services, and send you tailored marketing communications about products, services, offers, programs and promotions of Pack Animal and our partners, and measure the success of those campaigns.
- To meet legal requirements, including complying with court orders, valid discovery requests, valid subpoenas, and other appropriate legal mechanisms.
- To provide information to representatives and advisors, including attorneys and accountants, to help us comply with legal, accounting, or security requirements.
- To prosecute and defend a court, arbitration, or similar legal proceeding.
- To respond to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
- To provide, support and improve our site or products.
- For example, this may include sending you product or experience surveys or feedback opportunities.
- Other purposes. To carry out other legitimate business purposes, as well as other lawful purposes about which we will notify you.
We only process your personal information for the above purposes when:
- You have given consent. You grant us consent to use your information in particular ways, and you may withdraw your consent at any time.
- It is in performance of a contract, We need your personal information to provide you with products or services requested by you, or to respond to your inquiries.
- We have a legal obligation, such as to comply with applicable tax and other government regulations or to comply with a court order or binding law enforcement request.
- It is in our legitimate interest. We have a legitimate interest in using your personal information. In particular, we have a legitimate interest in the following cases:
- To analyze and improve the safety and security of our Services.
- To provide and improve Services, including any personalized services.
- To anonymize and subsequently use anonymized information.
Do we disclose the information we collect to outside parties?
(i) Our service providers: Sometimes, we share your information with our third-party service providers, as necessary to enable them to perform certain services for us, including but not limited to:
- Order fulfillment
- Delivery services
- Payment processing
- Our email marketing service provider
- Website related services, such as web hosting
- Data analytics
One of the third party services that we use to track your activity on our Services is Google Analytics. If you do not want Google Analytics to collect and use information about your use of our Services, then you can install an opt-out in your web browser (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout). You also may opt-out from Google Analytics for Display Advertising or the Google Display Network by using Google’s Ads Settings located at https://www.google.com/settings/ads. You can also visit your device’s settings or install the AppChoices app to learn more about how you may opt out of receiving personalized ads in mobile Apps.
(ii) Any competent law enforcement body, regulatory body, government agency, court or other third party where we believe disclosure is necessary (a) as a matter of applicable law or regulation, (b) to exercise, establish, or defend our legal rights, or (c) to protect your vital interests or those of any other person.
(v) Any other person with your consent.
Legal Basis for Processing Personal Information (EEA Persons Only)
If you are from the European Economic Area, our legal basis for collecting and using the Personal Information described above will depend on the Personal Information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it.
However, we will normally collect and use Personal Information from you where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your data-protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. Typically, our legitimate interests include improving, maintaining, providing, and enhancing our Website, products, and services; ensuring the security of the Services and our Website; and for our marketing activities.
If you are a Customer, we may need the Personal Information to perform a contract with you. In some limited cases, we may also have a legal obligation to collect or process Personal Information from you.
If we ask you to provide Personal Information to comply with a legal requirement or to perform a contract with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your Personal Information is mandatory or not, as well as of the possible consequences if you do not provide your Personal Information.
Where required by law, we will collect Personal Information only where we have your consent to do so.
If you have questions about or need further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your Personal Information, please contact us by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
The GDPR is an EU Regulation to improve the protection of the personal data of EU citizens and increase the obligations of organizations who collect or process personal data. These new regulations take effect on the 25th of May 2018. The regulations greatly enhance the data privacy and security of our customers and extend to them exercisable rights enabling greater control over one's personally identifiable information.
The full specification of the GDPR rights and regulations can be found here
Pack Animal functions as both a controller and processor of our customers' personally identifiable information (PII). Additionally, we contract a number of sub-processors to which we transmit data for storage or processing beyond feature sets under our immediate control.
As a controller of data, we store PII such as customer names, email addresses, physical addresses, IP addresses, and phone numbers. We use databases through GDPR compliant service providers (Google cloud, Squarespace, Shipstation) to store sensitive customer data.
Pack Animal is also a processor of customer data. We use customer data to design custom motorcycle mounting kits, as well as to track product warranties, customer purchase history, and customer service records. Sub-processors are leveraged by Pack Animal for purposes of financial transaction execution, internal analytics, and shipping services.
We are committed to complying with the GDPR. If you have any questions about this or would like to exercise your rights over your personal identifiable information, please contact us at email@example.com
Your Data Protection Rights
You have the following data protection rights:
- To access, correct, update or request deletion of Personal Information. Pack Animal takes reasonable steps to ensure that the data we collect is reliable for its intended use, accurate, complete and up to date. Customers may contact us directly by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In addition, individuals who are residents of the EEA can object to processing of their Personal Information, ask to restrict processing of their Personal Information or request portability of their Personal Information. You can exercise these rights by contacting us using the contact details provided in the "Questions and Concerns" section below.
- Similarly, if Personal Information is collected or processed on the basis of consent, the data subject can withdraw their consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your Personal Information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- The right to complain to a data protection authority about the collection and use of Personal Information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority. Contact details for data protection authorities in the EEA are available here.
We respond to all requests we receive from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection law. We may ask you to verify your identity in order to help us respond efficiently to your request.
Customers and Visitors who have opted in to our marketing emails can opt out of receiving marketing emails from us at any time by clicking the "unsubscribe" link at the bottom of our marketing messages.
Also, all opt-out requests can be made by emailing us at email@example.com Please note that some communications (such as service messages, order notifications, and billing information) are considered transactional and necessary for order management, and Customers cannot opt out of these messages unless you cancel your order.
How do we protect Personal Information?
We take appropriate and reasonable technical and organizational measures to protect Personal Information from loss, misuse, unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, and destruction, taking into account the risks involved in the processing and the nature of the Personal Information. Your personal information is contained behind secured networks and is only accessible by a limited number of persons who have special access rights to our systems, and are required to keep the information confidential. When you place orders or provide your personal information, we use a secure server. All sensitive/credit information you supply is transmitted via Secure Socket Layer (SSL) technology and then encrypted into our databases to be only accessed as stated above.
Retention of Data
We retain Personal Information where we have an ongoing legitimate business or legal need to do so. Our retention periods will vary depending on the type of data involved, but, generally, we'll refer to these criteria in order to determine retention period:
- Whether we have a legal or contractual need to retain the data.
- Whether the data is necessary to provide our Services.
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your Personal Information, we will either delete or anonymize it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your Personal Information has been stored in backup archives), then we will securely store your Personal Information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
(i) We operate in the United States
Our servers and offices are located in the United States, so your information may be transferred to, stored, or processed in the United States. While the data protection, privacy, and other laws of the United States might not be as comprehensive as those in your country, we take many steps to protect your privacy.
(ii) Data transfers from Switzerland or the EU to the United States
Pack Animal is currently under review in it's application for self-certification to the the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework and the Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework. We are committed to subjecting all Personal Information received from European Union (EU) member countries and Switzerland, respectively, in reliance on each Privacy Shield Framework, to each Framework’s applicable Principles. To learn more about the Privacy Shield Frameworks visit the U.S. Department of Commerce’s Privacy Shield website, here.
A list of Privacy Shield participants is maintained by the Department of Commerce and is available here.
Pack Animal is responsible for the processing of Personal Information we receive under each Privacy Shield Framework and subsequently transfer to a third party acting as an agent on our behalf. We comply with the Privacy Shield Principles for all onward transfers of Personal Information from the EU and Switzerland, including the onward transfer liability provisions.
With respect to Personal Information received or transferred pursuant to the Privacy Shield Frameworks, we are subject to the regulatory enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission. In certain situations, we may be required to disclose Personal Information in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Under certain conditions, more fully described on the Privacy Shield website, here, you may be entitled to invoke binding arbitration when other dispute resolution procedures have been exhausted.
Changes to this Policy
Questions & Concerns
If you have any questions or comments, or if you have a concern about the way in which we have handled any privacy matter, please use our contact form to send us a message. You may also contact us by postal mail or email at:
Pack Animal, Inc.
558 1st Ave S, STE 210
Seattle, WA 98104